Thursday, August 23, 2012

Jukebox Heroes: Elvis Presley


This will be a periodic feature that highlights what 45's artists have on their jukebox.  Stay tuned for more in the future.  This entry highlights some of the 45's on Elvis' jukebox from Graceland.  The above picture is actually a jukebox located at Sun Studios in Memphis.  Elvis' personal jukebox at Graceland was a great collection of Rock, Soul, Blues and R&B.  Vee-Tone Records put out 3 volumes of CD's highlighting the music found there:

http://www.veetonerecords.com/elvis-jukebox.html

Here's a small sampling of those 45's:

-Arthur Crudup- Mean Old Frisco Blues/ Rock Me Mama
-Bill Haley- Razzle Dazzle/ Two Hound Dogs
-Bill Justus- Raunchy/ The Midnight Man
-Bo Diddley- I'm Bad/ Who Do You Love?
-Booker T & The MG's- Green Onions/ Behave Yourself
-Carl Perkins- Dixie Fried/ I'm Sorry, I'm Not Sorry
-Chuck Berry- Too Much Monkey Business/ Brown Eyed Handsome Man
-Chuck Willis- CC Rider/ Ease The Pain
-Dale Hawkins- Susie Q/ Don't Treat Me This Way
-Dean Martin- Bumming Around/ Houston
-Fats Domino- Valley Of Tears/ It's You That I Love
-Gene Vincent- Be-Bop-A-Lula/ Woman Love
-Isley Brothers- Twist & Shout/ The Spanish Twist
-James Brown- Papa's Got A Brand New Bag part 1/ part 2
-Jerry Lee Lewis- Breathless/ Down The Line
-Jimmy Reed- Too Much/ I'll Change My Style
-Joe Turner- Lipstick, Powder & Paint/ Rock A While
-John Lee Hooker- Tupelo/ Dusty Road
-Johnny Taylor- Disco Lady/ You're The Best In The World
-Jr. Walker & The All-Stars- Shotgun/ Hot Cha
-Larry Williams- Bony Maronie/ You Bug Me, Baby
-Little Richard- Good Golly Miss Molly/ Hey Hey Hey Hey
-Little Walter- My Babe/ Thunderbird
-Lonnie Mack- Memphis/ Down In The Dumps
-Mickey & Silvia- Love Is Strange/ I'm Going Home
-Nancy Sinatra- These Boots Are Made For Walking/ The City Never Sleeps At Night
-Piano Red- Rock, Baby/ Wild Fire
-Ray Charles- I've Got A Woman/ Come Back
-Ricky Nelson- Believe What You Say/ My Bucket's Got A Hole In It
-Roy Orbison- Mean Woman Blues/ Blue Bayou
-Sam Cooke- A Change Is Gonna Come/ Shake
-Slim Harpo- Scratch My Back/ I'm Gonna Miss You
-The Coasters- Yakety Yak/ Zing Went The Strings Of My Heart
-The Drifters- Fools Fall In Love/ It Was A Tear
-The Platters- The Great Pretender/ I'm Just A Dancing Partner
-The Spiders- Witchcraft/ Is It True
-Warren Smith- Ubangi Stomp/ Black Jack David

This gives a bit of an insight to the artists and styles that inspired his sound.  He covered many of these as well.  Check out the Vee-Tone link for the complete list and order your CD's today!

John Lee Hooker- "Tupelo"

Gene Vincent- "Woman Love"

Warren Smith- "Ubangi Stomp"